Home » Phase 3 Cover Letter

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.

Phase 3 Cover Letter

The Research Essay Cover Letter

My target audience for my Research Analysis paper is Blacks and non-blacks seeing as how the topic of the N word is most sensitive and controversial between these two sides. This was a very sensitive and controversial letter to type actually. My initial thought upon the use of the N word was that no one should use it. There’s so much history and trauma linked to the word the word still that I don’t think we’ll ever come to a place where non-blacks are able to address blacks as nigga. I’ve seen it happen on rare occasion though between Blacks and Latinos because they’re from the same hood maybe. But it still isn’t something that’s widely accepted, more so accepted between small groups of friends, usually Black, as a term of endearment. I noticed something weird just now typing this. That latinos is “misspelled” according to Word because the L isn’t capitalized yet it doesn’t happen when I type black. Call me crazy actually but it makes me feel as though Black to some cultures is probably seen as nothing more than a color, not even a race, similar to what I’m seeing now.

Moving on, I tailored my letter to appeal to multiple audiences and multiple viewpoints. My letter includes evidence to support claims that only blacks should use the N word, that no one should use the word and that everyone should use it. One of the most meaningful insights I’ve gained was discovering how the N word became more than just slang for blacks to address one another, but how some blacks hold genuine pride in labeling themselves a nigga. Another meaningful insight I’ve gained this phase of the course is that I should have more confidence in my content I put out, that I can write really good poetry in 3 minutes if I’m willing to focus all my attention on it. My peers compliment me on my poetry I share in class and even my professor wanted to use one for her class which was truly a confidence booster for me. I’ve started writing poetry again on my down time and even submitted a poem into a contest hoping for the best possible outcome.

The concepts that have impacted my learning and writing practices the most this phase would have to be evidence and argument. It was frustrating but necessary for me to have to skim through multiple sources that had strong enough claims for me to want to place into my essay. Once I had the sources, the essay technically wrote itself using the rhetorical precis along with synthesis techniques to connect my sources and support my arguments. This phase has even helped me write better Philosophy papers because I needed to acquire sources for evidence and cite them properly which this ENG course has taught me to do.

I achieved quite a few of the Course Learning Outcomes, first one being to locate research sources which was needed as evidence for my letter. The next one would be exploring and analyzing because I had to skim multiple sources for strengths and weaknesses to place into my letter. I definitely composed texts to integrate my stance using synthesis and argumentation, skills I’ve learned from my philosophy class as well. This was probably the most insightful phase so far for me. I feel like I’ve really acquired a lot of knowledge to use in my future literary content. I feel like I’ve accessed a hidden linguistic genius within myself that enjoys using words in a unique way. Looking forward to see what the last phase will teach me.